These yummy little savory Vietnamese pancakes are traditionally called “banh khot”… or “little circle fried shrimp flour” as shown on the bag of cake mix… heeee. They’re very simple to make and are delicious with nuoc mam cham. This dish is a specialty of the southern coastal province of Ba Ria-Vung Tau. If you ask most Vietnamese, however, they’re more familiar with the neighborhoods of Ho Chi Minh City, where they have many stalls selling these savory cakes.
I didn’t entirely stick to the traditional recipe or mung beans and dried shrimp. I married the recipe with its Laotian counterpart adding a bit of coconut milk. These are a little softer and chewier than what you would normally get in Vietnamese restaurants. They’re best served warm, fresh off the pan and dunked in nuoc mam. Mmm – mmm!!
1 bag of banh khot flour
1 can coconut juice
4 cups of water
16 large shrimps (peeled)
1/2 cup peeled mung bean (although I didn’t use all of it)
2 stalks of green onion chopped
Coconut milk for topping: (optional)
Fish Sauce or nuoc cham pha (detailed instructions here):
1 part lime juice
½ part minced garlic
1-2 chopped thai chili
1 part fish sauce
1 part sugar
2 parts water
1. In a bowl mix flour, water, coconut juice together.
2. Wash mung bean and cook until tender. Remove excess water and mash mung bean into paste. Add in a dash of salt and sugar for taste.
3. Chop shrimps into small pieces. In pan heat some oil and add in shrimps. When shrimps are half cooked, add in the chopped green onions and some salt, sugar, ground pepper, and mung bean.
4. Heat the banh khot pan (I used my Ebelskiver pan) and brush with oil. Stir the batter and fill each mini cup to 3/4 high. Add in some mung bean and shrimps mixture. Brush on some more oil on the side of the cakes. Scoop a little bit of coconut milk on top and add just a sprinkle of sliced green onions. Cover for 2-4 minutes. Check to see if it’s cook or not. If not then brush on more oil and cover to cook again.
5. For the fish sauce, mix everything together and taste.
6. Serve banh khot with fish sauce.